Friday, April 04, 2008

Surely we are weirder than this?

Using my old new friend StumbleUpon I found StrangeUSA's list of "strange stuff" in Knoxville. Pretty disappointing! Cemeteries and our haunted locales and one UFO listing... I guess it'd be hard to replicate what Jack Neely dug up over the years, eh?

In Oak Ridge they've got a statue of Mary with the atomic orbits symbol on the base-- that's pretty funky. Unfortunately I see less weird stuff in Knoxville each year, mostly due to our ever-expanding strip mall populations and the "updates" our fine contractors do to existing properties. 

For example, there was a pressure-washing rental place on Clinton Hwy. that was painted purple with big, pink circles all over it. I guess the owner thought it'd stand out more if they painted it white, which they did. Sad.

So where's the weird stuff you've found in Knoxville?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzy Trotta, REALTOR said...

This is obvious, but...Fellini Kroger? It's Knoxville's version of the Twilight Zone, even in the middle of the day.

11:48 AM  
Blogger _victor said...

oh wow, can't believe I forgot about Fellini Kroger-- absolutely epic, and it has carried the torch for over a decade. nice one!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

Closer to town on Broadway is a piano/musical instrument store that on its roof carries a plastic Santa on a sleigh complete with reindeer AND, I do believe, a plastic Ronald McDonald.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Alisa said...

I had forgotten all about fellini kroger...I used to live so close to that place! I literally once saw a man with tinfoil on his head there! Well, it's probably gone now, but that video store behind the drag was DEFINITELY weird. Also, what about Sick and Ill's? Is that still there?

4:24 PM  
Blogger ck said...

we did a whole post on the wierd piano store over at the wigshop. click on "weird knoxville" tag in the cloud and you can see our series on weird stuff in knoxville. a highlight for me is the "wall 'o elvis" at marie's olde towne tavern. fellini kroger hasn't made it yet, but it will.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home